Pur Skin Clinic’s Cosmetic Dermatology Specialists now offer the FDA-approved treatment, Kybella, for stubborn fat under the chin. Submental fullness (or the “double chin”) is influenced by genetics, aging and weight gain in men and women.
Kybella is a groundbreaking, non-invasive treatment for submental fullness. In the past, the only effective options for reducing stubborn fat under the chin was surgical procedures or liposuction; however, now this fat can be eliminated through a series of simple injections.
Kybella Before & After Photos
A series of injections are recommended, however the number of sessions will depend on your aesthetic goals and your medical providers recommendations. Following a Kybella treatment, patients may experience temporary bruising, swelling, or numbness; however, these side effects are short-lived and patients can go right back to their normal activities. Patients will begin to see results in the following 6-8 weeks after their treatment.
What is Kybella (Deoxycholic Acid)?
Kybella consists of deoxycholic acid, a naturally-occurring molecule in the body that aids in the breakdown and absorption of fat. When Kybella is injected into the fat under the chin, the fat cells are targeted and destroyed, then naturally eliminated by the body. Once destroyed, those cells cannot store or accumulate fat again.
- Kybella (deoxycholic acid) injection is the first and only FDA-approved injectable drug that contours and improves the appearance of submental fullness (double chin) due to submental fat.
- Deoxycholic acid is a manmade form of a substance your body makes that helps to breakdown fats. Deoxycholic acid and works by destroying fat cells where it is injected into the body.
How does Kybella work?
- Kybella consists of deoxycholic acid, a naturally-occurring molecule found in the body that aids in the breakdown and absorption of dietary fat.
- When injected into fat, Kybella causes the destruction of fat cells.
- Once destroyed, those cells cannot store or accumulate fat.
How is Kybella administered?
- Kybella is administered by multiple injections into the fat under the chin.
- Each in-office treatment session is typically 15-20 minutes.
- Treatment with Kybella is customized by the medical provider to the patient’s aesthetic goals for an improved chin profile.
How many treatments will I need?
- You and your medical provider will customize your Kybella treatment regimen, including how many treatments you need, based on your desired chin profile.
- Your medical provider will give you a multiple injections under your chin at each treatment session. Each session is spaced about a month apart.
- Many patients experience visible contouring of their chin profile in 2-4 treatment sessions spaced at least 1 month apart. Up to 6 treatments may be administered.
Will I experience any side effects?
- The most common side effects are swelling, bruising, tenderness, numbness, redness and around the treatment area.
- Kybella very rarely can lead to serious side effects, including trouble swallowing and nerve injury in the jaw that can cause an uneven smile or facial muscle weakness.
When will I see results?
- Patients will begin to see results in the following 6-8 weeks after their treatment.
How long will the results last?
- When injected into the fat under your chin, Kybella causes the destruction of fat cells. Once destroyed, those cells cannot store or accumulate fat. Therefore, results are long lasting.