Spider Vein Treatment in Edmonds WA
Denice Schwind, PA-C our Cosmetic Dermatology specialist, treats spider veins with Sclerotherapy for best results in reducing the appearance of spider veins.
Sclerotherapy is a procedure performed to improve the appearance of the telangiectasia’s (small superficial blood vessels), and sometimes small blue reticular veins in the legs. A small needle is used to inject the solution into telangiectasia’s and reticular veins. We use a concentrated sugar solution (glycerin) to perform Sclerotherapy. This solution is much less painful than the older saline solution and very safe.
The potential benefits of the treatment of leg veins with Sclerotherapy include the possible improvement in the appearance of telangiectasia’s and reticular veins. The majority of persons who have leg vein treatments performed will be cleared of their telangiectasias after 1-4 treatments, or at least see good improvement. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that leg vein treatments will be effective in every case. Approximately ten percent of patients who undergo leg vein treatments experience veins that are not totally disappeared after six treatments. In rare instances, the veins may become worse after leg vein treatments.
Do not have Sclerotherapy if you are: Pregnant or Diabetic.
The number of treatments needed to clear or improve the condition differs from patient to patient, depending on the extent of telangiectasia’s and varicose veins present. One to six or more treatments may be needed; the average is about three or four.
Since your legs will look worse for approximately one month and improvement occurs over 2-3 months, you should wait a minimum of 3 months between appointments.
POST CARE FOR SCLEROTHERAPY
- Your legs will look worse for about a month after your treatment; the veins will be redder and bruised.
- It is very important to avoid all forms of exercise, except walking, for 5-7 days. After 7 days, you can resume activities like running, cycling, exercise classes, weight lifting, tennis, swimming, Pilates and yoga.
- Use compression stockings for three days after the treatment. Pur Skin Clinic sells medical grade compression stockings which give the best results.
- Please do not tan for two weeks after the procedure.
- Tylenol may be taken for minor aches or pains after your treatment.
- Since your legs will look worse for approximately one month and improvement occurs over 2-3 months, you should wait a minimum of 3 months between appointments.