A Gentleman’s Guide To Skincare
Say the word “skincare,” and nine times out of ten, the image that comes to mind is a counter of products made exclusively for women. Which makes perfect sense, considering men’s daily grooming is typically associated with nothing more than a bar of soap and a can of shaving cream. But according to Mathew Avram, M.D., J.D., director of the Dermatology, Laser, and Cosmetic Center at Massachusetts General Hospital,just a few tweaks to the usual routine can make a world of difference in your appearance. “If men want to keep skin youthful and healthy looking, they’ve got to make skincare a part of their daily regimen.”
The good news is that it doesn’t take much to step up your game. Here, the ultimate complexion checklist—designed for maximum benefits with minimal effort…
- Consider a high-quality cleanser:
- That industrial bar of soap in the shower is fine for your body, but isn’t doing your complexion any favors—in fact, bar soap may be drying enough to cause premature age lines and wrinkles. To try instead: a good cleanser, preferably stocked with alphahydroxy acid to help slough off dead skin cells.
- Try a moisturizing shave gel:
- This not only gives you an important hydration boost, but you’ll have an added layer of protection against razor burn and ingrown hairs.
- Finish your face with a SPF-stocked moisturizer:
- To some, this step may seem high-maintenance, but it’s critical to use a good fragrance-free moisturizer with a defense again the harsh rays. “The best way to slow the skin aging process is to protect your skin daily from the sun, because exposure causes wrinkles, age spots, and also can increase your risk of skin cancer,” says Miami dermatologist, Ivan D. Camacho, M.D., FAAD. Another bonus? It will leave you with the softest, most luxurious skin ever…the kind that ‘s perfect for collecting those Father’s Day kisses.